Saline solution is composed of sodium chloride and water. A 0.9% sodium chloride, which is isotonic to body fluid, is also known as normal saline solution or physiological saline solution. It is an ideal solution for wound and skin cleansing for its isotonicity. It is cheap and is available in pharmacy stores and convenience stores.
- Normal saline solution is used for cleaning and rinsing various parts of the body, including the eyes.
- Facial cleansing – For those of you with oily and acne prone skin, use normal saline solution after acne and comedone treatment can help the healing process. Normal saline solution is gentle for cleansing and rinsing skin.
- Eye irrigation – Normal saline solution is used for eye irrigation to remove loose foreign materials, such as dirt, pollen, and other chemical agents from the eyes. Using normal saline solution in a cone-tip bottle, you can pour the solution into an eyewash cup, or squeeze the bottle to directly flush the eye. Make sure the cone-tip does not touch your eyes or any other surface.
- Nasal Irrigation – Nasal irrigation washes away allergens, mucus, and other debris from the nose and sinuses. It provides a better breathing.
- Wound irrigation- Normal saline solution is an ideal solution used for cleaning open wounds, e.g., surgical wounds, pressure ulcers, burns, etc. Wound irrigation washes away dirt, debris, and any loose foreign material, promotes wound healing, and reduces a chance of infection. Normal saline solution is isotonic to extracellular fluid. It is gentle to the wound and does not interfere with wound healing process. It can be used on all ages.
- Oral rinsing – Oral rinsing with normal saline solution promotes healthy gums, and maintain oral hygiene. It also facilitates the healing of oral wounds, and hasten oral ulcer healing.
- Contact lens rinsing – Rinsing contact lens with normal saline solution before wearing washes away chemical agents from contact lens solution, helps reduce eye irritation. Normal saline solution, however, should not be used to store contact lens overnight since it does not have any antibacterial properties
HOW TO USE:
- Unscrew cap.
- Discard green plastic ring.
- Screw cap tightly, cone pin inside cap will break bottle seal.
- Ready to use.
- When not in use, close cap tightly without green plastic ring.